The main purpose of this ongoing blog will be to track planetary extreme, or record temperatures related to climate change. Any reports I see of recently reported ETs will be listed below the main topic of the day. I’ll refer to extreme or record temperatures as ETs (not extraterrestrials).😉
Main Topic: Climate Related Items to Be Thankful for This Thanksgiving
Dear Diary. Every Thanksgiving that I’ve been writing on this blog, I’ve been listing some positive developments in the climate world that we can be thankful for. Here are those from last year:
Let’s list some climate related items to be thankful for during 2022:
1. We will have President Lula da Silva in charge of Brazil during 2023, whose election toppled authoritarian Jair Bolsonaro, that was a very anti-environmentalist leader and a clear threat to the Amazon rain forest. Da Silva pledged at COP27 in Egypt to work with indigenous leaders to sustain and restore the Amazon.
2. Speaking of COP27, for the first time at these big climate conferences, rich nations pledged to give poorer nations money for coping purposes. Most of these poorer nations have been adversely affected by the climate crisis despite negligible emissions.
3. For the first time in U.S. history our central government has approved significant funds in the form of the Inflation Reduction Act to fight climate change. As President Biden would say, this is a big deal folks.
4. There was no big red wave. The pro fossil fuel, anti-science Republican Party will not take over the Senate in 2023 and will have a very small majority in the House, such that it will be very hard for them to defund or undo the Inflation Reduction Act and other climate initiatives the next two years. The elections of 2022 both in Brazil and the U.S. beat back fascism, although we must be vigilant the rest of this decade during each subsequent election to keep this pro fossil fuel, anti-science, anti-humanistic authoritarian system of government from making political gains.
5. The transition towards a sustainable green planet continued to occur during 2022 with many large entities either making a switch to renewable energy or making pledges to do so. It became bad public relations to continue to use fossil fuels to do business, and this trend should continue during 2023 and beyond.
Don’t get me wrong. Climate crisis weather, from historic flooding in Pakistan to historic northern Hemisphere droughts, has been horrendous during 2022, but at least there have been some positive events.
I probably have missed an item or two here that I will happily add should my readers point to my omissions.
Here are some “ET’s” recorded from around the planet the last couple of days, their consequences, and some extreme temperature outlooks + heavy precipitation reports:
Here is more climate and weather news from Thursday:
(As usual, this will be a fluid post in which more information gets added during the day as it crosses my radar, crediting all who have put it on-line. Items will be archived on this site for posterity. In most instances click on the pictures of each tweet to see each article. The most noteworthy items will be listed first.)
If you like these posts and my work please contribute via the PayPal widget, which has recently been added to this site. Thanks in advance for any support.)
Guy Walton… “The Climate Guy”